Sunday, November 04, 2012

Socially well

The layers of people I connect with is seemingly more complex for me.

I have my colleagues, who I want to impress professionally and the same time be friendly so that they don't see me as a rude SOB who only speaks to them when it concerns work. This is a delicate area as I have to keep this professional image of mine up all the time.

Then there are my cousins and their friends, who I have to look "cool" or happening to a certain extent for them to actually engage in conversation with me. This is mainly due to the fact that I have just been inducted to this circle, and the latest honour being introduced to their Whatsapp group. Although the banter that goes on does not really concern me, but it is essential for me to maintain my "happening" levels at an above average level for them to notice me and want me to actually be there, and not just be a filler in this group of 15. The random gossip, or the tickets to the latest concert, all that from them.

Recently, I did manage to get myself noticed in ways least expected.
1. They found out about my girlfriend, and they wanted to know more about me. My girlfriend used to attend college with some of them. My girlfriend goes to the same uni as my cousin's girlfriend. :)

2. During our weekly football sessions, I tackled my cousin that he got pissed at me. A week later, he tackled me in return during futsal. And somehow everyone things we've got a tiff going on. (Hence, being noticed)

3. The occasional CS and table tennis sessions show my range of skills apart from being the geek.

There's family, like my immediate family, to whom I owe a lot more information, but at times rather keep things to the routine. Playing mediator at times, listener, preacher stuff like that. And I want them to think that everything is normal with me, and need not worry about me.

It is normal for me to keep some things to myself and only tell the close ones about such matters.
And these close ones are my best friends. They know pretty much everything about me, and we are very frank with each other, however painful that may sound. It helps just to speak your mind, and get everything out of the way, which is not as easy as it sounds.

Being frank, colleagues, cousins, family may judge you.

Best friends won't. Cause we've grown together. Laughed together. Cried together.

Feeling thankful for the different layers, so that I am able to manage all these circles which are equally important.

Being versatile is the key.

No comments: